From: LRRSA@... [mailto:LRRSA@...] On Behalf Of Colin Harvey
Sent: Tuesday, 15 August 2006 2:22 PM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: The gauge question ...

Peter

I have no doubt there was a 3ft 6in gauge sleeper, but was it from
the firewood line or one of the overburden tramways?  I suspect the
latter is more likely.  Not that this precludes the firewood tram
from being 3ft 6in gauge, it's just not sufficient evidence in my
opinion.

Humbly
Colin

--- In LRRSA@..., "Peter Evans" wrote:

> Colin,

> I refer to colleague Rickard who measured a sleeper complete with
dogspike
> holes beside the line (before it disappeared under McMansions and
Starter
> Castles). I'm pretty sure that 3-ft 6-in gauge was the measurement
obtained.

> Cordially,
> Sawdustoz.
>
>   _____

Behalf
> Of Colin Harvey
> Sent: Tuesday, 15 August 2006 1:55 PM
> To: LRRSA@...
> Subject: [LRRSA] Re: The gauge question ...
>

> Mr Evans
>
> What evidence to you have that David Mitchell's firewood tram was
3ft
> 6in gauge?
>
> Colin
>
> --- In LRRSA@..., "sawdustoz" wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Perhaps this group might like to consider light railways with a
gauge
> > greater than 3-ft 6-in? Victorian lines that spring to mind are
the
> > McIvor firewood line (5-ft 3-in), the early horse trams of the
Wombat
> > Forest south of Bendigo (also 5-ft 3-in), and the David Mitchell
> > firewood tram (3-ft 6-in and, later, standard gauge). In
addition,
> > there were heaps of very traditional "light railways" with a
gauge of
> 3-
> > ft 6-in, especially in the Otway Forest and east of the
Powelltown