Re: An unknown timber tramway

rthorne475

Thank you, Tony.  Good to know which mill it was photographed at.

Richard Horne

From: Anthony Coen
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Monday, 10 February 2014, 11:29
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Re: An unknown timber tramway

The second photo. in that group of photos. (0-4-0ST Manning Wardle 371/1871 “Stanley”) has been the subject of discussion with a couple of Tasmanian colleagues and it is thought that the loco. is pictured on the former Tas. Timber Corp. Tramway out of Hopetoun (near Dover ). There are a few reasons why:

1. The loco. is in pretty good and unspoiled condition, similar to how it looked when it arrived at Dover ;

2. Photos. (only a couple) that we've seen of it at Geeveston depict it with a stove-pipe funnel and spark arrester with the engine very much knocked about/well-used;

3. It's facing the right direction (east) for working an empty train on Hopetoun Line; pretty sure that Geeveston engines all worked funnel-first from Geeveston Mill with empties.

Cheers,

            Tony.