From: John Browning
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Sunday, 12 January 2014, 22:37
Subject: [LRRSA] 1947 M&B locomotives

Tony Weston kindly forwards this piece from the Chemical Engineering and Mining Review, July 10, 1947 p.399.

Diesel Locomotives for Heavy Duty
Manufacturers of a wide variety of engineering pro­ducts for the past 70 years, Morison and Bearby Pty Ltd, of Newcastle, NSW, are now producing a special line of diesel locomotives suitable for all classes of light railway work.
These locomotives are of particularly rugged con­struction and are suitable for rough and heavy work. The standard unit produced is for 2ft gauge, this can be varied to suit requirements. A catalogue issued recently by the company illustrates a series of these locomotives powered with Southern Cross diesel engines, but similar units can be supplied powered with petrol or kerosene engines.
A useful feature of the "M&B" locomotives is the hand operated governor which permits engine speeds ranging from 600 rpm to 1,200 rpm in all gears. This speed range greatly assists the working of the locomotive on steep gradings, sharp curves and over undulating tracks frequently encountered in general light railway work. In addition, gears are in constant mesh throughout all speeds in each direction, thus en­suring easy and foolproof gear change.

Is anyone able to add any further information and in particular say if any such locomotive was built?
My research into Bundaberg Foundry has shown that the local design and construction of a commercial locomotive was no trivial enterprise.

Thanks

John

John Browning
Brisbane