Re: Timber Tramways East of Mansfield

Frank Stamford

"Light Railways" No.71 is still available from the LRRSA.

See the following web page for details:

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrr_LRc.htm

and

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_Online_shop.html

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "roderico_llanos"
<roderico_llanos@...> wrote:

Mcsawdust,

I defintitely have not seen any copies of Light Railways from 1981.
I would not know where to access a copy as I live almost 300 km from
Melbourne, so any details you could send me would be greatly
appreciated.

I assume that McCashney and Harper had logging or miling operations
in the Buttercup region and the years you mention are about when the
Mansfirld region's logging operations were reaching their full
development.

Thanking you,
Roderico

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "mcsawdust" <mike.mccarthy@>
wrote:

Roderico,

The tramway was probably that operated by McCashney and Harper
from
1937 to 1947. There is a history of it in Light Railways No71
(Jan
1981). If you can' get a copy I would be happy to scan and send
it
to you.

Cheers,

Mike Mccarthy

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "roderico_llanos"
<roderico_llanos@> wrote:

I have been planning to ask about this one since I joined, so I
am
introducing myself with this topic at last.

In the early 1980s I came across a partially rotted but still
intact
wooden railed tramway. This line lead north out of the Buttercup
Creek
valley east of Merrijig. It ran across rising pastureland into
forested hilly land along a ridgetop. It appeared to have been
constructed to cart logs to a mill in the Buttercup valley or
perhaps
for timber cartage to a point where road log trucks could reach.
The
condition of the timbers indicated to me that it was most likely
constructed in the 1920s or '30s.

Does anybody know anything about this tramway or others in the
Mansfield region ? There have been a few fires about those parts
since
I looked at those old wooden rails and I am sure that most
traces
have
utterly disapeared by now.