Re: Neranwood Tramway was Gold Coast

Frank Stamford

I cannot speak for Neranwood specifically, but in Victoria they did amazing things with timber bogies if the need arose, and I imagine the same sort of thing happened at Neranwood.

If they had VIP parties visiting they would join two timber bogies together with longitudinal planks and build longitudinal back to back seating on them. I can recall a case where the Governor of Victoria and various government ministers and MPs travelled on a tramway at Forrest in that way, but there were many other examples where VIPs visited timber mills in the bush and they were accomodated on temporarily modified log bogies.

Timber tramways did not have passenger vehicles because they did not legally have the authority to carry passengers. I feel very confident there would have been no passenger vehicles on the Neranwood tramway. The only exceptions I can think of are the Powelltown tramway in Victoria, and various lines in Western Australia (where the whole approach was different), but I cannot think of any other cases. Interestingly the Powelltown tramway, as built, was designed and managed by Western Australian interests.

On 2/05/2013 3:25 PM, Peter wrote:

All things come to those who wait... [or start to use their brains and check trove for the answer!!]

Telephone Facilities at Neranwood.
Captain Jas. Francis, M.H.R., has been advised officially that arrangements are being made to commence the transaction of trunk line and telegraph business at the Nerang Hardwood Co.'s mill near Mudgeeraba. The office will be known as Neranwood and the hours of attendance will be from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Telegrams must be called for.
From; The Brisbane Courier Wednesday 6 February 1924 P.15

The matter of tramway passenger transport still interests me as the mill's opening ceremony had 80 guests, the majority of whom proceeded by the McKean car to Mudgeeraba, where they assembled at the company's tramline. The Minister for Lands (Mr. McCormack) mounted the footplate of the locomotive and briefly performed the ceremony of opening the line. On arrival at Neranwood,the Minister performed the opening ceremony formally opened the new mill at Neranwood, as well as the eight miles of tramline connecting it with Mudgeeraba, for the Nerang Hardwood Co. Ltd. After inspecting sawing operations, and the working of the machinery, the guests were entertained at luncheon.

[Trove] The Brisbane Courier Tuesday 18 November 1924, page 6

Therefore.. 80 high society folk, including ladies in their fine dresses, needed to be transported in time for luncheon etc so either road or tram was used.

The locals had told the education dept the teacher's best option to reach Neranwood was travel on the tramway so the interesting question is did the 80 guests also travel on the tramway and if so how? I imagine the teacher may be prepared to ride a timber wagon but high society ladies probably would require some form of seating. The tramway transported sawn timber to Mudgeeraba so may have had flat wagons so temporary seats could be installed?

Cheers
Peter Cokley