Re: Neranwood Tramway was Gold Coast

Petan

All things come to those who wait... [or start to use their brains and check trove for the answer!!]

Telephone Facilities at Neranwood.
Captain Jas. Francis, M.H.R., has been advised officially that arrangements are being made to commence the transaction of trunk line and telegraph business at the Nerang Hardwood Co.'s mill near Mudgeeraba. The office will be known as Neranwood and the hours of attendance will be from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Telegrams must be called for.
From; The Brisbane Courier Wednesday 6 February 1924 P.15

The matter of tramway passenger transport still interests me as the mill's opening ceremony had 80 guests, the majority of whom proceeded by the McKean car to Mudgeeraba, where they assembled at the company's tramline. The Minister for Lands (Mr. McCormack) mounted the footplate of the locomotive and briefly performed the ceremony of opening the line. On arrival at Neranwood,the Minister performed the opening ceremony formally opened the new mill at Neranwood, as well as the eight miles of tramline connecting it with Mudgeeraba, for the Nerang Hardwood Co. Ltd. After inspecting sawing operations, and the working of the machinery, the guests were entertained at luncheon.

[Trove] The Brisbane Courier Tuesday 18 November 1924, page 6

Therefore.. 80 high society folk, including ladies in their fine dresses, needed to be transported in time for luncheon etc so either road or tram was used.

The locals had told the education dept the teacher's best option to reach Neranwood was travel on the tramway so the interesting question is did the 80 guests also travel on the tramway and if so how? I imagine the teacher may be prepared to ride a timber wagon but high society ladies probably would require some form of seating. The tramway transported sawn timber to Mudgeeraba so may have had flat wagons so temporary seats could be installed?

Cheers
Peter Cokley

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Peter" <yahoomail@...> wrote:

At this stage I am pretty sure "Neranwood Tel.O" marked just south of the mill, means telegraph Office.

No one here has jumped in to say it is not. That "Tel.O" could be standard mapping abbreviation so I will move onto my next tramway puzzle.

Cheers
Peter Cokley

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Peter" <yahoomail@> wrote:

So far no replies re my earlier question if "Neranwood Tel.O" marked just south of the mill, means telegraph Office?

I know there was a post office at Neranwood [Burrows 1989 P.62]but a post office could mean either a post receiving/dispatching office for the envelopes and parcels transported by the mail run or it could also include a telegraph office which means the additional feature of the telegraph wire strung back to a main center? If "Tel.O" refer to telegraph office then that shows Neranwood had a definite upgrade from just a mail and parcels office.
Cheers
Peter Cokley