To: LRRSA@...
From: trainbrain@...
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:28:00 +1000
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Magnet Town film and adventure

Hi Sam, all,
 I have uploaded a small selection to this photobucket folder:
http://s418.photobucket.com/user/Burra2a/library/Magnet
The photos have brief captions.
The videos are too big to upload and I don't have any editing software to remove the boring commentary anyway.
Cheers,
 Mark K

On 23/04/2013 6:09 PM, Sam Laybutt wrote:
I am most definitely interested in seeing a selection of your images, Mark! :)

Keen to watch that youtube vid when I get home from work too...

Sam

To: LRRSA@...
From: trainbrain@...
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:29:38 +1000
Subject: [LRRSA] Magnet Town film and adventure

Hi all,
Mark Fry was kind enough to pass on a copy of this film to me at the
Aus Narrow Gauge Convention over Easter, and I have since found it has
already been uploaded to Youtube:
http://youtu.be/ADYFY6xisAY

I spent a couple of days towards the middle of March exploring Magnet
and drove whilst videoing the track bed from Waratah to the mine, not
really a viable track to drive unless you don't mind scratching your 4WD
due to overgrowth.
Gee that track is dark and dank until it levels with the Arthur River.
Historic photos show the hillsides bare of trees, the regrowth has
closed in successfully, so it is hard to pick out locations where photos
of the train was taken.
The valley where the mine and town was is thoroughly revegetated
predominately with Celery Top Pine too.
There are still some fantastic remains at the mine site, uprights from
the concentrating shed, brick foundations from the crusher, concrete
foundations from the hydro powerhouse and auxilliary power plant, a
small stamp mill below the town area, the main adit and the later lower
level trial adit, a pair of boots by the site of a workman's hut,
bottles and bricks at the site of the shops, footbridge abutments,
embankments, the enormous overburden/spoil banks that dominate
everything, rusty mine skips, a vertical boiler and lengths of rail 'up
the gully'. There is still most of a bridge over the Arthur River and of
course most of the earthworks are still more or less intact. I took
around 20 gig of digital media of the line and mine site! I can upload
to photobucket a selection of photos if anyone is interested. A photo of
my camp with the concentrating mill in the background can be seen here:
http://s418.photobucket.com/user/Burra2a/media/On-The-Road/20130320_092439a_zpsb2eb5c28.jpg.html

Now I have grandiose plans to model the Magnet Tram and mine/town far
more accurately than I had previously intended.
Regards,
Mark K
who was going to rejoin the LRRSA at the ANGC but there wasn't a stand :(