Re: “Light Railways” Editor

gould_scott <sncs@...>

Hello Eddie, Frank & Everyone else,

As one of the new sub editors, I can confirm Frank is absolutely correct in what he is saying. We work to a common style guide, but each of us is responsible for compiling and proofing our own sections, before submitting them for the editor to finalize the layout.
As Frank has pointed out, the layout won't be the responsibility of the new editor, but will be left to experts to keep the magazine looking as it does today.
Received articles are stored on a central point so we can all assist with proofing and adjusting to fit the style guide, and discussing with the author any issues that may arise.There are subject matter experts available to help with clarifying details, and are a great help. The final proofs are sent out to the whole team for checking, before being sent off to the printers. It's a team effort and seems to work well, hopefully we can continue to build on what we already do.

Regards,

Scott

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Frank Stamford <frank.stamford@...> wrote:

On 24/03/2013 11:06 AM, Eddie Oliver wrote:
As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.
Excellent decision. Perhaps you need to go even further in giving
autonomy to the section editors.
To all intents and purposes, I believe that is already the case, and has
been since the new "Light Railways" was launched with issue No.139. It
cannot be 100% autonomy as there has to be agreement on things such as
presentation, and space allocation. I do not think the section editors
would want 100% autonomy, as the collaborative process is a help rather
than a hindrance.