Re: Light rail news on CD

Frank Stamford

Hello Bruce,

"Light Railway News on CD-ROM" was a pioneering project, and is now obsolete.

It has been replaced with "Light Railway News Nos 1 to 121 pdf version". This consists of one single pdf file containing 2,458 A5 size pages, and is fully searchable with Adobe Reader. That is a far more elegant simple solution than the old "Light Railway News on CD-ROM", which would only work on Windows computers, and required installation of software to make use of the Windows Help system as it then existed.

Details of "Light Railway News Nos 1 to 121 pdf version" can be found here:

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRN_CDR.htm

and it is available for immediate download from the LRRSA Online Shop in the "Light Railways" category. The price is $19.00, or $9.50 if you are an LRRSA member. The file size is about 18Mb.

Microsoft no longer uses the Help System that the CD-ROM was designed for.

As a little bit of background, the Light Railway News on CD-ROM project was started in 1994 when CD-ROM burners had just fallen in price from $12,000 to $5,000 each and the price of a blank CD-ROM had just fallen from $250 each to $50 each. At these prices the project would not have been viable, but we were confident they would fall a lot more. The process of converting the printed LRN's to the correct format for the CD was complex and took four years to complete. By that time the price of CD-ROM burners was around $600 and blank CD-ROMs about $2.50 and at those prices the project was viable. The route we took using the Windows Help system and software called HDK (Hyper Text Development Kit) was the best available at the time.

Searchable pdf's of that size were not an option at that time, unfortunately.

On 11/03/2013 1:37 PM, Bruce wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am trying to load the CD program on a Windows 7, 32-bit operating system. I cannot get it to work successfully. (I get a Windows error message, which tells me that the program will not open, but doesn't explain why?).

Is anyone using the CD on a Windows 7 operating system, and did you need to do any tricks to get it to work?

Thanks
Bruce