Re: BURRA

John Garaty

Hi John,
Burra is parked at present up the middle of 5 Road in the shed in a very dark spot most unsuited for photographs.
Some rough dimensions at the firebox end are:
32" approx width over the firebox cladding
Grate 15" long, 26" approx wide.

I also had a brief chat with our engineer in charge of Burra's restoration. His opinion after looking at the same photo I quoted in the previous link, is that the original firebox was wider than the frames and that the strengthers were original.
Regards,
John Garaty
Member ILRMS

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "John Browning" <ceo8@...> wrote:

British narrow gauge historian Mark Smithers recently raised a question on a
blog entry. It concerns the 2ft. gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST BURRA of 1923
now at the Illawarra Light Railway in NSW, previously at Corrimal Colliery.
This locomotive now has a wide firebox and cast strengtheners on the rear
parts of the frames. I believe it received a new boiler from Clyde in 1946.
As built did it have a narrow firebox?