Re: Industrial railways in Iceland

Frank Savery

Just as an aside. It always seemed to me that the Germans made a seriouis error of judgement in not invading Iceland  when they  attacked Denmark and Norway. Not up to their usual Teutonic efficiency. From memory Iceland didn't and hasn't any armed forces so it wouldn't have taken much.
Cheers,
Frank Savery,
District Manager, CIE Cildargan Section
also Owner, Operator, Chief Cook & Bottle Washer,
Lakes District Portage Railway
and King Island Tramway, Tasmania
On 13/02/2013 8:19 PM, David R Axup wrote:

G’day DFrank,

The Brits actually “garrisoned” Iceland with the civil administration of Iceland still the sovereign power.  They were not an “occupying force” in the sense of the Axis Powers invading other countries – and you left Italy out of your “occupiers”.  And don’t forget that on the cessation of hostilities in both Europe and the Pacific the Brits and US did occupy Germany and Japan as did Australia in Japan.

Pedantic to be sure but couldn’t help myself.

Cheers,

David