From: Roderick Smith
To: transportdownunder@...; trainsdownunder@...; garratt@...; LRRSA@...
Sent: Thursday, 27 September 2012, 0:04
Subject: [LRRSA] G33 preservation [2 Attachments]

News that G33 is to be relocated from the ARHS museum (North Williamstown)
to Bellarine Railway (based at Queenscliff) has aroused interest in the
method of delivery.
The loco was 3 on the Australian Portland Cement roster. IIRC 1 & 2 were
the Beyer Garratts, 4 & 5 were the Vulcans, 6 was the Hudswell Clarke. The
diesel was D1. What was the Perry?
The ASG was overhauled in the early 1960s to be the main loco while the
diesel was overhauled. It worked a couple of railway-enthusiast tours to
Moorabool River bridge, but not through the tunnel.
The railway was mothballed when a conveyor belt was built, but was kept on
standby for a few months.
A special train ran in July 68 for a final viewing before the loco fleet was
dispersed. Already the mainline had been removed.

The Garratt was donated to ARHS, reportedly still in working order.

Although internet didn't exist for fast dissemination of advance news, that
was an era when advance knowledge was shared. I was aware of the date of
the move (Thurs.5.9.68), and set forth after my last lecture. I gambled on
one bridge too many for making my U turn on the divided highway, and had to
grab photos across the median. After I had turned, I had immense trouble
catching up. My motorcycle was supposedly capable of 100 km/h, but I only
ever got that down steep hills. On the level, rarely above 80; on this
occasion I might have squeezed 90. I did catch up, and got photos entering
Newport Workshops. Next day I was back for the offloading.

I don't plan to scan the lot. Here are my first two of the day.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor