Re: Early timber tramway construction methods questions

mcsawdust <mike.mccarthy@...>

Chas,

I'm sure that you are right in terms of more recent thinking however
the land was set aside in the 1870's (or early 1880s) with the view
that it was a possibility for the future as considered from that
time.

Regards,

Mike

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Chas Bevan <bevac@...> wrote:

Re the Agricultural College reserve.
I doubt that there was ever any intention of building such a
College
at this site. Dookie and Longerenong Ag Colleges were initially
operated by the Council of Agricultiral Education and ares of land
(such as the one mentioned) in different districts were set aside
as
a source of income for the operation of the Council and Colleges.
In
1945 (my last year at Dookie), the Council ceased to exist and the
Colleges and land its duties passed to the Dept of Agriculture:
indeed, it has been suggested that the reason was for the Govt to
gain control of the land such as mentioned below.
Chas Bevan

--- In <mailto:LRRSA%
40yahoogroups.com.au>LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au,
"mcsawdust" <mike.mccarthy@> wrote:

Michael,

I know the tramway reasonably well. Assuming the formation you
know
of is immediately east of the Bateman Rd/Dalyston Rd
intersection it
would have been the log tramway serving the Woolamai
Sawmilling Co
Blackwood Mill. This was situated on the west branch of Archies
Creek just south of the intersection and worked from 1899 (the
tramway was being extended towards the site from 1894)to around
1905. A log tramway followed Archies Creek north from the mill
for
about 3 kms.

From memory the mill may have been erected on what was once the
Agricultural College Reserve. The timber went out west to Bass
Landing. The tramway featured at least 2 inclines on its
journey to
the sea. I've found sections of it in the past mainly between
the
Dalyston/Glen Forbes Rd and Mill Road. Also in a gully above
the
Woolamai Race Course. The Company had another mill near the
Mill
Rd/Trew Rd intersection.

I wouldn't mind getting in there and having a look sometime.
Could
you tell me who now owns the property?

Cheers,

Mike McCarthy
Mike,

The mill was known to locals in the late '70's when we purchaced
the
property. You are right about the agricultural college reserve -
all
the properties in the area had been held on lease for a number of
years against the college being built. I never knew about the
inclines.

It is about 15 years since we owned the property, and 18 months
since
I visited it last. I can't remember the name of the gentleman who
owns
it now but he is quite approachable, and were you to knock on his
door, I'm sure you would have no problems in inspecting the route.
Some of the larger cuttings were on the back portion of the
property,
and as such were on the northern log tramway. We sold that
seperately
to a neibouring farmer, and I have no idea what his attitude to
you
looking over the property might be. However the fellow mentioned
above
seems to know pretty well everyone, as he works really hard on
landcare activities. He would advise you how best to approach
them.

Cheers,

Michael

Chas Bevan. Kallista Victoria