Re: puffing billy

Michael J

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Bill Russell" <bill.russell@...> wrote:

We did make informal approaches to Sierra Leone about 20 years
ago and were politely but firmly told to go away. I don't know if
we looked
at the ones in Nepal. We also looked at a Senital Steam Railcar in Sri
Lanka at about the same time, but were also told "no thanks".
What a shame about Sierra Leone, and for that matter Sri Lanka. Funny
how some authorities are happy to sell stuff for scrap, but not for
preservation. I understand similar problems are encountered by people
trying to approach the Indians about narrow gauge equipment.

By a miricle one of the Garratts (a 4-8-2+2-8-4) survives in Freetown,
and is fortunately being preserved. I understand a Sentinal is still
operational in Colombo but there is no longer any track for it to run on!

As for the Nepalese locos, this seems to be an off again, on again
thing depending on politics in Nepal. If PBPS is genuinely interested,
they might keep their ears open on that one.

Your points about train length are well made.

Michael