Re: Early timber tramway construction methods questions

Michael J

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "mcsawdust" <mike.mccarthy@...> wrote:

Michael,

I know the tramway reasonably well. Assuming the formation you know
of is immediately east of the Bateman Rd/Dalyston Rd intersection it
would have been the log tramway serving the Woolamai Sawmilling Co
Blackwood Mill. This was situated on the west branch of Archies
Creek just south of the intersection and worked from 1899 (the
tramway was being extended towards the site from 1894)to around
1905. A log tramway followed Archies Creek north from the mill for
about 3 kms.

From memory the mill may have been erected on what was once the
Agricultural College Reserve. The timber went out west to Bass
Landing. The tramway featured at least 2 inclines on its journey to
the sea. I've found sections of it in the past mainly between the
Dalyston/Glen Forbes Rd and Mill Road. Also in a gully above the
Woolamai Race Course. The Company had another mill near the Mill
Rd/Trew Rd intersection.

I wouldn't mind getting in there and having a look sometime. Could
you tell me who now owns the property?

Cheers,

Mike McCarthy
Mike,

The mill was known to locals in the late '70's when we purchaced the
property. You are right about the agricultural college reserve - all
the properties in the area had been held on lease for a number of
years against the college being built. I never knew about the inclines.

It is about 15 years since we owned the property, and 18 months since
I visited it last. I can't remember the name of the gentleman who owns
it now but he is quite approachable, and were you to knock on his
door, I'm sure you would have no problems in inspecting the route.
Some of the larger cuttings were on the back portion of the property,
and as such were on the northern log tramway. We sold that seperately
to a neibouring farmer, and I have no idea what his attitude to you
looking over the property might be. However the fellow mentioned above
seems to know pretty well everyone, as he works really hard on
landcare activities. He would advise you how best to approach them.

Cheers,

Michael