Re: John Fowler works photos

Bob Mcleod

Neville, Graham, and others,
   John Fowler had extensive photo records of all their products, and most of this collection is held by the Museum of English Rural Life, (MERL), at Reading University.
   They are, or were, under the care of one Dr. Jonathan Brown...a most helpful and knowledgeable fellow.
  To find, and obtain copies of particular engines, locomotives etc, it may be necessary to hire the services of a researcher, as the collections at MERL are vast. Or perhaps there may be someone you know, in England, who would be prepared to go and do the dredging?
    There is considerable information on Fowler's narrow gauge railway interests, as well as all else, in the 'Story of the Steam Plough Works', by Michael Lane, copies of which occasionally turn up on ebay, or may be found through book dealers, or in the State Library.
         Good Luck,
                  Bob McLeod

Sent: Wednesday, 18 January 2012 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] John Fowler works photos

Neville,
Thankyou for your prompt response. Have also been told in the last 10 minutes there are builder's photos in The History of the Don River Railway's , Locomotives, Railcars and Carriages of the 1886 Fowler and a similar builder's photo of the 1923 Fowler in the ILRMS Museum Guide. I will write to both sources to possibly obtain permission to reproduce copies of high enough resoluion for republication. If not granted will try Reading University. Would be still interested to know what sort of tractive effort both these locomotives were capable of producing
Regards
Graham
----- Original Message -----
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] John Fowler works photos

Graham
I think there are builders photos inTerralong Tracks and Industrial Steam of the Illawarra. I think Reading University holds Fowler records.
Regards
Neville
----- Original Message -----
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:52 PM
Subject: [LRRSA] John Fowler works photos

I am wondering how accessible are the records of John Fowler & Co. Leeds for overseas access as I would like to obtain builder's photos (if available)and extended specifications for:- No 5265 of 1886. 0-6-0 T purchased by Kiama Municipal Council in the same year and also the later No 16089 of Nov 1923 0-4-0 T putchased by State Quarries.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join LRRSA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.