From: LRRSA@... [mailto:LRRSA@...] On Behalf
Of Phil
Sent: Monday, 7 November 2011 10:12 PM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Maritime Slipways

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this discussion, especially
Rod, Denis and Iain.

Good to get so many leads on Riverine slips - we might have to call it
"Maritime and Riverine Slipways" (thanks to Bill Russell for introducing
this theme.)

David asked "Are the researchers collecting material on all slips still in
existence or restricting the research to a size and length? - David Axup"

We do need to restrict it somewhat otherwise we'd end up with literally
hundreds - though they are disappearing, with the larger establishments
installing rubber-tyred gantries [that somehow, in my view, fail to "cut the
mustard"!].

So, any slipway railway that had any of these features (Lengthy, Historic,
Complex, Multiplicity, Quirkiness) are the sort of features in which we are
particularly interested.

cheers Jim Longworth and Phil Rickard