Re: Early timber tramway construction methods questions

mcsawdust <mike.mccarthy@...>

Michael,

I know the tramway reasonably well. Assuming the formation you know
of is immediately east of the Bateman Rd/Dalyston Rd intersection it
would have been the log tramway serving the Woolamai Sawmilling Co
Blackwood Mill. This was situated on the west branch of Archies
Creek just south of the intersection and worked from 1899 (the
tramway was being extended towards the site from 1894)to around
1905. A log tramway followed Archies Creek north from the mill for
about 3 kms.

From memory the mill may have been erected on what was once the
Agricultural College Reserve. The timber went out west to Bass
Landing. The tramway featured at least 2 inclines on its journey to
the sea. I've found sections of it in the past mainly between the
Dalyston/Glen Forbes Rd and Mill Road. Also in a gully above the
Woolamai Race Course. The Company had another mill near the Mill
Rd/Trew Rd intersection.

I wouldn't mind getting in there and having a look sometime. Could
you tell me who now owns the property?

Cheers,

Mike McCarthy