From: tuppenced <@DavidHalfpenny>
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Friday, 28 October 2011 6:11 PM
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Mystery locomotive

Thanks to Mike, Bob and Bill for that illumination.

The photo is certainly taken in a large excavation which I first imagined to be a transport cutting but could well be a goldfield.

I suspect that in the photo the loco is being used as a rail-mounted stationary boiler for other equipment. The headstock is on blocks. It's clearly in steam but none coming from the chimney, indeed there's a pipe up from the chimney (wonder how it draws the fire?). I can't see the layshaft and connecting rods, but maybe that's just because of the steam and the camera angle.

David 1/2d