Re: Angled cylinders on cane locomotives

Bob Mcleod

Greetings...
   The sliding, oil covered surfaces of piston rods and crosshead guides are the most vulnerable parts to dust and subsequent wear on these locos, and so, any way of getting them higher up, out of cane trash and dust was highly desirable.
  The unfortunate effect of angled cylinders was a tendency for the engine to 'waddle' when working hard, and on some of the very small engines, the effect was quite comical...to onlookers, not for the crew!
               Bob

--- On Fri, 13/5/11, Peterson, John J <peterson.john.j@...> wrote:

Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Angled cylinders on cane locomotives
To: "LRRSA@..." <LRRSA@...>
Received: Friday, 13 May, 2011, 10:08 AM

Hello,

I understand also that the reason for angled cylinders was to give better clearance particulary for sugar cane locos working on branch lines and maybe portable track. The very early Fowler locos had indirect drive that did the same job in a more complicated way for the same stated reason. Later locos by Fowler were angled direct drive which did a similar thing but in a a simpler way. These early very small locos were designed to work on portable track. In most places animal or human power and later tractors was used to get the loaded wagons to the 'main' line. So maybe the need for cylinders to be out of the way changed when their use became more 'main' line focused.

Cheers

John P

Sent: Friday, 13 May 2011 8:36 AM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: [LRRSA] Angled cylinders on cane locomotives

I've a question that I'm unable to answer from an overseas modeller
who is attempting to build the Fowler PETRIE 0-4-2 in 7/8" scale. His
query obviously relates to a number of small sugar cane locomotives:

Lastly, I have yet to find anyone to give me an explanation of why the
cylinders on many of these locos are set at an angle. The only thing
I have heard so far was it was for better clearance; to set them a bit
higher relative to the wheel c/l on small drivered locos.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,
Lynn
--
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414, Rockhampton QLD 4700 Australia
http://www.zelmeroz.com

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links

Join LRRSA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.