From: Peterson, John J <peterson.john.j@...>
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Angled cylinders on cane locomotives
To: "LRRSA@..." <LRRSA@...>

Hello,

I understand also that the reason for angled cylinders was to give better clearance particulary for sugar cane locos working on branch lines and maybe portable track. The very early Fowler locos had indirect drive that did the same job in a more complicated way for the same stated reason. Later locos by Fowler were angled direct drive which did a similar thing but in a a simpler way. These early very small locos were designed to work on portable track. In most places animal or human power and later tractors was used to get the loaded wagons to the 'main' line. So maybe the need for cylinders to be out of the way changed when their use became more 'main' line focused.

Cheers

John P