To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 10:46:45 +0000
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Fyansford Cement Works Bucyrus steam shovel

Thanks fpr this additional information. The 5' 3" gauge steam railway crane No.6 was Ruston & Hornsby 'Ruston Crane Navvy' 951 and had a normal crane jib with a coal grab. In January 1965 it was dumped on a length of track, together with steam shovel No.3, 'Ruston Crane Navvy' 698, so I was able to photograph the pair.

Regards,

Richard

From: bill.russell@optusnet.com.au

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:05:28 +1100

G'day All,

There were at bleast two steam shovels at Fyansford. One I saw was on caterpillar

tracks. I guess that this is the one I saw last year at Lake Goldsmith.

There was another (out of use when I saw it) stored (abandioned) alsonside the 3'6"

track. I remember that this appeared to be rail mounted.

Regards,

Bill Russell

On 19 Feb 2011 at 15:38, Stephen Percy Larcombe wrote:

There is a book "Bucyrus Making the Earth Move for 125 Years" that has
a picture of this shovel working at Mount Morgan.
It apparently left Mount Morgan and dug a railway line in Queensland
some where.
It was then aquired by the Cement Works at Fyansford.
It has had a different roof on it in early photos at the cement works
compared to the roof that it had at Mount Morgan, and the roof it has
now is also different. The cement works fitted it with a new boiler
(or at least another boiler), the original boiler is some where in a
overburden heap. It was last used as a crane in the 1960's to assemble
the new diesel shovels, but at this time it was run on compressed air,
as the boiler had developed a crack in the firebox. The bucket and
dipper were removed at this time, and unfortunately the both got
scrapped along with all he spare rail that belongs with it.
This shovel is a little bit different to most of the Rail Mounted
shovel in that there is a 19 foot wide rigid beam running cross ways
behind the front bogie to support the side outriger jacks. Most other
examples had swinging outriggers that would fold out of the way for
transport.
The front screw down jack, in front of the front bogie that screwed
down onto the sleepers between the tracks had gone missing at some
stage (probably stolen for the bronze), so the bolts on the other
jacks we welded to prevent removal.
Some details are:
for operating needed
1 driver on slew
1 driver on crowd
1 Fireman
4 on ground
last used on steam in 1951
last used on compressed air in 1966
Can lift 20 ton
67 ton working weight
Dipper stick was wood sheathed with steel
bucket weighed about 3 ton
there was also a team of men with crowbars to bar the track closer to
the working face as the shovel moved back and forth.
The shovel is standard gauge (4' 8 1/2")
It has recently been rescured by Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation
Society, and was partly dismantled and moved there last year.
Apparently the have had one of the steam engine on the shovel working
recently.
The Steam Shovel Register website list this shovel as:
1903 vintage Bucyrus model 65C rail mounted non-rotating steam
shovel.
But I am not sure where they got the information and model from.
Yours
Stephen
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000
In the 1960s, beside the line to the old quarry, there was stored out
of use a large rail mounted Bucyrus steam shovel. It was carried on
two diamond frame bogies and the chilled cast iron wheels
(manufactured by tthe Griffith Wheel Co., Chicago) were variously
dated 1900 and 1902. At the time, I assumed that this had come from
the Wallaroo & Moonta Mines, in South Australia, along with the
Hudswell Clarke 0-4-2STs, nos. 5 to 9, in 1924. However, now I have a
photo of the steam shovel used at Moonta, I can see that it was not
the same machine. I have since read somewhere, that the Fyansford
shovel came from the Mt Morgan Mines in Queensland and was standard
gauge. I failed to measure the gauge of the shovel at Fyansford and
would be grateful if any member can advise if it was standard gauge
and, more importantly, supply details of its history.
Richard Horne
Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA
publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways
and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au
This group is for members who share common interests with the members
of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors
and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any
LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management" Yahoo!7 Groups
Links