Re: Fyansford Cement Works Bucyrus steam shovel

Stephen Percy Larcombe

There is a book "Bucyrus Making the Earth Move for 125 Years" that has a picture of this shovel working at Mount Morgan.

It apparently left Mount Morgan and dug a railway line in Queensland some where.

It was then aquired by the Cement Works at Fyansford.

It has had a different roof on it in early photos at the cement works compared to the roof that it had at Mount Morgan, and the roof it has now is also different.
The cement works fitted it with a new boiler (or at least another boiler), the original boiler is some where in a overburden heap.
It was last used as a crane in the 1960's to assemble the new diesel shovels, but at this time it was run on compressed air, as the boiler had developed a crack in the firebox.
The bucket and dipper were removed at this time, and unfortunately the both got scrapped along with all he spare rail that belongs with it.

This shovel is a little bit different to most of the Rail Mounted shovel in that there is a 19 foot wide rigid beam running cross ways behind the front bogie to support the side outriger jacks. Most other examples had swinging outriggers that would fold out of the way for transport.

The front screw down jack, in front of the front bogie that screwed down onto the sleepers between the tracks had gone missing at some stage (probably stolen for the bronze), so the bolts on the other jacks we welded to prevent removal.

Some details are:
for operating needed
1 driver on slew
1 driver on crowd
1 Fireman
4 on ground
last used on steam in 1951
last used on compressed air in 1966
Can lift 20 ton
67 ton working weight
Dipper stick was wood sheathed with steel
bucket weighed about 3 ton

there was also a team of men with crowbars to bar the track closer to the working face as the shovel moved back and forth.

The shovel is standard gauge (4' 8 1/2")

It has recently been rescured by Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Society, and was partly dismantled and moved there last year.
Apparently the have had one of the steam engine on the shovel working recently.

The Steam Shovel Register website list this shovel as:
1903 vintage Bucyrus model 65C rail mounted non-rotating steam shovel.
But I am not sure where they got the information and model from.

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000
Subject: [LRRSA] Fyansford Cement Works Bucyrus steam shovel

In the 1960s, beside the line to the old quarry, there was stored out of use a large rail mounted Bucyrus steam shovel. It was carried on two diamond frame bogies and the chilled cast iron wheels (manufactured by tthe Griffith Wheel Co., Chicago) were variously dated 1900 and 1902. At the time, I assumed that this had come from the Wallaroo & Moonta Mines, in South Australia, along with the Hudswell Clarke 0-4-2STs, nos. 5 to 9, in 1924. However, now I have a photo of the steam shovel used at Moonta, I can see that it was not the same machine. I have since read somewhere, that the Fyansford shovel came from the Mt Morgan Mines in Queensland and was standard gauge. I failed to measure the gauge of the shovel at Fyansford and would be grateful if any member can advise if it was standard gauge and, more importantly, supply details of its history.

Richard Horne