Re: Central Coast

The Bickfords <womloc4@...>

Hi Chris,

A pet interest of mine, having family holiday connections to Terrigal until the 1970's and working in the area in the early 1990's
I have a book here called 'The Brisbane Water Story, part three, Erina, Kincumber, Wamberal etc, written by C S Wanscott, published in 1954.
It has quite a detailed description of the timber getting around Terrigal and Avoca.
The timber mill at Terrigal was located at the Haven and was associated with a boat builder. Some sawn timber was also taken to Sydney.
They had a horse hauled timber railed tramline that went from Avoca Lake up the ridge and then down to the mill at Terrigal.
Operated in the 1870-80 period (?) by a Mr Tom Davis who pioneered the use of turpentine logs for wharf piers.
Tramway Road was built in 1918 and followed approximately along the line of part of the old horse tram.

Central Park Railway was located about where the waterslides are located, maybe a bit south.
A Fowler and Simplex diesels plus some rollingstock sat by the road for many years.

cheers,
Mike Bickford
Berowra, Sydney, Australia
www.ritginc.org

----- Original Message -----
To: <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 8:34 PM
Subject: [LRRSA] Central Coast

While I was on the NSW Central Coast on the weekend I read that there was a timber mill at Terrigal which had a tramway which ran towards North Avoca, there is a Tramway Ave at North Avoca which is on part of the route. Does anyone know where I could find more info?
I also drove past Forresters Beach about 6 times, where exactly was the Central Park Railway located? On the west side of the road just before the hill heading north up to Bateau Bay is a large retirement complex under construction, there are also some waterslides in behind there. Is this where it was?
On Sunday morning there were some markets in The Entrance and there were historical photos for sale. One was described as the original bridge at The Entrance under construction and it showed a timber deck with two pairs of steel rails running along it with points and a crossover between them. To me it looked more like a jetty, why would railway lines be laid on a timber bridge under constructon?

Regards,
Chris

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"

Yahoo!7 Groups Links

Join LRRSA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.