Fowler indirect jackshaft drive locomotives

Michael J

I'm sure that everyone is aware of 2' gauge Fowler indirect jackshaft
drive locomotive in the sugar museum near Innisfail, formally in a
Melbourne scrap yard. I was under the impression that that was the
only one in Australia.

Then I was browsing "Tall Timbers and Tramways" and there was a
picture of a 3'6" gauge version that was found on a couple of
Victorian timber tramways. And then that evening reading an article by
John Dennis in the latest issue of Narrow Gauge Downunder, there were
a whole swag of 2'6" gauge versions on the Cobar mine firewood tramways.

Now of course I've got a few questions, can anybody answer?

Were these half dozen the only ones in Australia? Were they all 2-4-0T
wheel arrangement? Were they all basicly the same design, even the
same size, just different gauges, or were they all unique designs?

They are sure interesting looking locos.

Cheers,

Michael Johnson