Mount White/Mooney Mooney Creek construction railway

Sam Laybutt

Hi everyone,

Whilst reading a book called 'The Roadmakers' by the former Department of Main Roads, I found something that I thought might be of interest to the group.

In a chapter describing construction of the Pacific Highway between Hawkesbury River and Gosford was the following:

"Before a temporary timber access bridge was built across Mooney Mooney Creek in 1927, horses and drays were taken over by flying fox. On the Mount White - Gosford section a light railway was introduced and tumbling tommies replaced the drays. These small railway barrows held about one cubic yard of material and ran from cutting to fill, being drawn back by horses."

Cheers

Sam