Re: Underground Railroad: 1942

bll_hnks

G’day Richard,

Thanks for that clarification. It looks a bit different to the actual patent which I think only had two cylinders. I note that the particular locomotive in the photo does not have full length frames as the front bogie is hung off the smokebox, which would have placed the pulling forces on the boiler itself.

Regards,

Bill.

From: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au] On Behalf Of richard horne
Sent: Saturday, 15 January 2011 3:09 AM
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Underground Railroad: 1942

Bill,

Ephraim Shay's three locos on the Hemlock Central RR were all different and dstinctively so...and this one is definitely No.1.

Cheers,

Richard

--- On Thu, 13/1/11, Bill Hanks <bhanks@railsignallingservices.com.au<mailto:bhanks%40railsignallingservices.com.au>> wrote:

From: Bill Hanks <bhanks@railsignallingservices.com.au<mailto:bhanks%40railsignallingservices.com.au>>
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Underground Railroad: 1942
To: "LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au<mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>" <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au<mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>>
Date: Thursday, 13 January, 2011, 22:21

A friend in the USA tells me that this was Ephraim Shay's second locomotive.

Bill Hanks

From: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au<mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au> [mailto:LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au<mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>] On Behalf Of Brian Rumary

Sent: Friday, 14 January 2011 6:19 AM

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au<mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>

Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Underground Railroad: 1942

Tom D wrote:

What a fascinating site. Here is another interesting photo.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786?size=_original
This is one of the locos that Ephraim Shay built himself, rather than

those built by Lima to Shay's patent.

Brian Rumary, England

www.rumary.co.uk

Join LRRSA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.