Norwegian Museum Railways ...

Frank Stamford

Hello all,

Over the past week I have escaped from LRRSA matters and have been processing the photographs I took in Norway in July-August.

As a result I have just updated my website:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Norway_Trip_Menu.html

More specifically, the changes that have been made are:

(1) Norwegian Railway Museum:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Norway_Hamar_Railway_Museum.html

What was one page has now been expanded to about six. In many respects I think this might be one of the best set up railway museums in the world, although most of the rolling stock items are difficult to photograph due to confined space.

(2) Old Voss Railway

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Norway_Gamle_Vossebanen.html

This is a new page and relates to a standard gauge (former 3ft 6in) museum railway near Bergen.

(3) Krøderen Railway

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Norway_Kroderbanen.html

This is Norway's longest museum railway (26 km). I have added a number of new photographs, and replaced some with better ones.

(4) Trondheim Tramway

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Norway_Trondheim%20Trams.html

This is a new page and it relates to Trondheim's metre gauge electric tramway which climbs a hill on its own right-of-way, and is more like a narrow-gauge railway than a city tramway.

(5) Oslo - Trondheim

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Norway_Oslo_Trondheim.html

This is a new page, and contains shots of scenery taken from a moving train

(6) Oslo - Bergen

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Norway_Oslo_Bergen.html

This is an existing page of scenic shots taken from moving trains to which I have added some extra photos, including one of a rotary steam snow plough at Finse, which parked itself outside my window while I was having lunch in the buffet car.

(7) Lysøen

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Norway_Lysoen.html

This is the extraordinary house on an island near Bergen which was built by Ole Bull, a world famous nineteenth century violinist. The only remote connection to railways is that Ole Bull's brother was the first architect for Norwegian Railways and was responsible for almost all the railway stations in the 1860s and 1870s, but he certainly was not responsible for this strange over-decorated house!

None of that has any direct relevance to the LRRSA, but Norway may have been responsible for inflicting 3ft 6in gauge upon us.

By the way I have used the term "museum railway" rather than "preserved railway" since there seems to be an over-riding philosophy to operate these lines as they did in the past, with as little interference with the original fabric or operating procedures as possible.