Re: 50 years of LRRSA

Frank Stamford

Excellent photograph of John Prideaux. he was the Hon. Treasurer in
1967-68, 1968-69, and 1969-70. He was also on the Constitution
Committee. John was a rock of common sense who played a key role in
navigating the organisation through difficult times leading up to the
election of the Constitution Committee.

To clarify things for readers of this list, Roderick was a member of the
Constitution Committee and its Secretary. He was the President in
1969-70 taking office immediately after the new Constution was adopted,
and the Hon. Treasurer in 1970-71 and 1971-72.

There is not much activity on this list at the moment, but hopefully it
will get a little more lively later. People have other things on their
mind - Father Christmas is making his deliveries tonight. I think I can
hear him on my roof right now - or it/could/ be possums ...

On 24/12/2010 7:36 PM, rnveditor wrote:

Frank's proper coverage of the Les incident was appreciated: a half
recollection is now converted to true history.
Les was surprisingly agile on that crutch. He hopped out at lineside
photostops on mainline tours with the best; now nobody (let alone a
movement-impaired person) is allowed to light mid section, even from
carriages equipped with ground level stairwells. Only once that I can
recall Les was unable to move clear of the main photo line in time.

In photo 17, the man in the hat must have been our Cheetham driver.

Today:
* Photo 11: admire the setting and the train; the people are too remote.
* Photo 14: I am not getting anyone. The man in the hat must be the
driver. The closest to the camera may be Steve Martin.
* Photo 18: Lionel Rickard, Phil Rickard, Frank Stamford; I can't get
the fourth.
* Photo 19: John Prideaux. IIRC he was the treasurer who preceded me.

Clearly, now that council has decided on the format, I am inclining
towards making the selection cover the people who made LRRSA: those
who have faded from the scene, and those who are still with us, when
they were young adventurers discovering a world of light railways.

Not every member looks at this Yahoo group, but please ask as many as
possible to start looking, so that there is some chance of identifying
everybody in my photos.

Another Jack McLean navigation story. The people being trained at
Williamtown (Newcastle, NSW) always cheated, and navigated via the
railway lines. One day an aeroplane became hopelessly lost. The
signalman at Maitland had the points set for the other route.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor