Re: Poverty Point bridge (Walhalla)

Roderick Smith

Thanks Rod,
I won't need them personally, but they could be placed in an album in the group's photos section (you have to get there via the Yahoo website).

When I was fairly new to VLRRS, people talked of the bridge in hushed tones: nobody was sure that it existed. It was erected in the factory yard (South Melbourne?), then each part was numbered and the whole lot was taken in by packhorse from Toongabbie: the bridge predated VR's Walhalla line. One senior rembered seeing the painted numbers on the pieces in his early exploration (1930s or 40s).

I found it in 1971, by bushbashing down from the road and landing at just the right spot.
A second attempt a few years later was less successful: I landed to far downstream. My group waded up the river and reached the bridge.

When it became part of the alpine trail, the approach trails were cleared on each side.

On a weekend of exploration based on staying at Rawson, LRRSA walked in from the VR and road Thomson bridges: up Mormontown Track, then along the former tramline to the bridge.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...> wrote:
...I may have some photos if you would like...