Re: Kiama tramway

bjr2105

From information that I have, all three steam tram motors were scrapped in
1938, but I have no idea in which month(s).

Tram motor 11A was sent to Railways Bombo Quarry, ex-Newcastle, in December
1926

Tram motor 53A was sent to Railways Bombo Quarry, ex-Newcastle, in May 1927

Tram motor 118A was sent to Railways Bombo Quarry, ex-Newcastle, in November
1926

It is interesting to note that these would have steamed from Newcastle to
Sydney to Bombo under their own power, but the usual maximum speed was 4
m.p.h., especially through points and crossings due to the tramway profile
wheels, which would have made for a VERY long travel time indeed…!

From my knowledge of the Weekly Notices, there is nothing in them for the
periods in question, as they stopped giving transfer info for steam trams in
them around 1917.

As you say, more for the bigger picture.

Bruce Rankin

From: Mark Kendrick <trainbrain@...>
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Kiama tramway
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>
Date: Wednesday, 17 November, 2010, 10:28

Hi,

Just further to the original query, in case this detail was missed,

there was more than one tramway in the Kiama area. Aside from the well

known ~2' gauge tram, one was standard gauge between another quarry and

wharf and used an ex NSWGT steam tram motor, perhaps others. What gauge

was used at Avon Dam?

Cheers,

Mark K

On 13/11/2010 4:16 PM, Neville Conder wrote:

Afternoon all
Been visiting the local museum in Kiama today and have a query.
It had a list of locomotives that worked on the tramway and the time
they were there. A interesting one was as follows: 1927, Gibson Battle,
petrol electric Ex Avon Dam, built in April 1921.

I thought I knew a lot about the tramway but this a new one for me. Does
anyone have any information on this loco. Did it actual work on the tramway.

Any information would be appreciated.
Neville