From: The Bickfords
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Kiama tramway

Hi Neville,

Gibson Battle were the agents for the Shay locomotive in Australia.

There was series of articles about the Kiama Tramway by Ken McCarthy in
Trolley Wire, issues 166,167 & 168 in 1976.
It refers to the Gibson Battle petrol electric loco and includes a photo of
the remains in the late 1950's
The loco was originally supplied in 1921 for the construction of Avon dam
and came to Kiama in 1927.

The ARHS Bulletin for October 1989 has an article by John Newland about the
various locos tendered for use at Wyangala Dam.
Included in the large list of locos offered is a Gibson Battle petrol
electric, so they must have supplied a few locos over the years.

cheers,
Mike Bickford