Re: Kiama tramway

bjr2105

Neville,

Gibson Battle were a well known general machinery merchant and I remember their catalogue was a very well used document in the Babcock & Wilcox drawing office where I worked many years ago.

Have you tried searching on the NLA website? There are more than 10,000 entries for Gibson Battle there. Try the following weblink:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q= <http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=&;exactPhrase=gibson+battle&anyWords=&notWords=&l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&fromdd=&frommm=&fromyyyy=&todd=&tomm=&toyyyy=&l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&sortby> &exactPhrase=gibson+battle&anyWords=&notWords=&l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&fromdd=&frommm=&fromyyyy=&todd=&tomm=&toyyyy=&l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&sortby=

or, if that’s too hard to copy and paste, try the abbreviated version that takes you to exactly the same place:

http://tinyurl.com/35g2fkx

Happy hunting…!

Bruce Rankin

From: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au] On Behalf Of neville conder
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:42 PM
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Kiama tramway

Thanks Richard for your reply on my query.
I have been searching the web about Gibson Battle to see if they were manufacturers or just suppliers/agents. There is a photo of there factory in Sydney in 1920s and that they were taken over by Tutt Bryant in 1961. Any more information on this company and there products (possibly photos) would be appreciated.
Neville
----- Original Message -----
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 5:39 AM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Kiama tramway

I have a note that this loco was in use at Kiama ex Avon Dam in1938 and derelict there in 1956. I also have a note that there was a standard gauge Gibson Battle loco of 1927, used on the quarry floor, derelict by 1936 and also extant in 1956.

I do not now know the source of this information, so advise that it be treated with a degree of caution, particularly the standard gauge loco and the dates associated with it. Corroboration or otherwise welcomed.

Richard Horne

--- On Sat, 13/11/10, Neville Conder <nconder@internode.on.net <mailto:nconder%40internode.on.net> > wrote:

From: Neville Conder <nconder@internode.on.net <mailto:nconder%40internode.on.net> >
Subject: [LRRSA] Kiama tramway
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>
Cc: LocoShed@yahoogroups.com <mailto:LocoShed%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Saturday, 13 November, 2010, 5:16

Afternoon all

Been visiting the local museum in Kiama today and have a query.

It had a list of locomotives that worked on the tramway and the time they were there. A interesting one was as follows: 1927, Gibson Battle, petrol electric Ex Avon Dam, built in April 1921.

I thought I knew a lot about the tramway but this a new one for me. Does anyone have any information on this loco. Did it actual work on the tramway.

Any information would be appreciated.

Neville

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join LRRSA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.