Mount Strickland and Mount Ritchie logging track - Marysville area

ajohnmore <ajmore@...>

I found this snippet in the current edition of Bushwalking Victoria News and thought it might be of interest in regard to the loggging history of the Marysville area:
"
Lowering Gear track Reopened after 2009 Fires
One of the welcome (very few!) outcomes from the 2009
fires is that some of our old walking tracks are now
accessible to walkers for the first time in many years. One
of these tracks is the Lowering Gear Track located south
of Marysville, off the Acheron Way about 4km past the
Granton Rd turnoff
This track was used to lower timber taken from the Mt
Strickland and Mt Richie areas, and there is evidence still
to be seen of the old winch apparatus and special
channels cut into the hillside to facilitate the gradual
lowering of what were clearly huge timbers.
Kim guided his grateful acolytes straight up, a climb of
around 600m in conditions that proved to be colder and
wetter the higher we climbed. At the end of this little
adventure of over 18km, there was the usual pedometer vs
GPS debate about how much the walk exceeded this
distance.
Edited from Footnotes, Vol 30 No 9, Oct 2010
Maroondah Bushwalking Club
"

the reference to Mt Richie is a typo.

JohnMore