Re: Ida Bay Railway

Frank Stamford

Hello Lynn,

I don't think it was ever privately owned as a tourist operation.

I think the Tasmanian Government took it over
from the zinc company and then and then entered
into agreements with various private parties to
operate it. Their success in doing this has been very mixed.

At 05:24 PM 21/10/2010, you wrote:

I visited the railway several years back and agree that it is a very
worthwhile endeavour, even if it is off the tourist track a bit [no
pun intended]... but when and how did the Tasmanian Government take
over the ownership?? I thought that it was privately owned.

Best wishes, Lynn

I understand the railway is owned by the Tasmanian Government so perhaps
some heritage grant money could be made available?
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414, Rockhampton QLD 4700 Australia
<http://www.zelmeroz.com>http://www.zelmeroz.com