Re: Historical Acts of Parliment -railway construction

David in Avenel

Wouldn't hold your breathe on that one Bill, the west line - whilst new
signals are being provided - is very much a line of mudholes waiting for the
first few long and heavy trains to make them appear. Besides there is little
ballast on it so I wouldn't want to run fast in summer unless they are
expecting the heavy concrete sleepers to hold it in place.

On 12 September 2010 11:14, Bill Russell <bill.russell@...>wrote:

G'day Philip,

The whole story is told on Raiolpage/Victoria/NorthEast to Std Gauge (or
there
abouts). All 234 pages of it! Here is the link:

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11335280-s3345.htm

For various reasons the upgrade to the existing standard gauge (concrete
sleeper
replacement) was not as good as it should have been. The line developed mud
holes which
made travel for passenger trains (XPT) too slow to run a realistic time
table. Hence the
busses, The recent heavy rain in the area won't have helped. Freight trains
are still using
the line at reduced speed (in some locations). Your informant's "out of
service" was not quite
accurate.

The west line is having the final signalling etc. fitted and should be open
soon.

Regards,
Bill

On 12 Sep 2010 at 10:05, Philip Hammon wrote:

Morning All,

I was told at a dinner last night that the standard gauge track between
Albury and Melbourne is out of service, and that no program is in place
for repair, and that buses are being used to transport passengers from
Albury to Melbourne.

Can this be true???

Philip Hammon
Managing Director