Re: Mornington Peninsular railways

David Axup

G'day John,

The line along Trueman's Road was from a lime kiln part of which was still
there in the late 40's and early 50's. Part of the right of way was also
still there as well as some narrow gauge wheel sets. As a child I used to
go there with some mates to catch tadpoles in the ponds at the kiln. I went
looking for the remains about 20 years ago but couldn't find anything.

Not sure if that is because I was looking in the wrong place or what had
been there was removed as the area developed.

I have been unable to find anything, other than the 1930's map referring to
the line.

There was supposed to be a jetty near Trueman's Road but, like the one at
Canterbury between Rye and Blairgowrie, it was long gone in the late 40's.
The map does not show a jetty but it does show a beacon which, putting on my
Master's cap, would indicate that there was probably a jetty at some time as
otherwise there would be no reason to put in a beacon as a navigation mark
as navigation in shore by anything other than small craft cannot be made in
that area. Perhaps there had been a deeper channel.

Then again what is shown as the Lime and Fertilizer works on the map may
have been the reason for the line. In the late 40's and 50's there was a
plaster works [Wilsons] on the corner of Trueman's Road and the Nepean
Highway.

I'd love to find out more about the Trueman's Road line if anyone knows
anymore about it.

Cheers,

David