Re: Mornington Peninsular railways

David Axup

G'day John,

Thanks for the information. It seems the small trolley on the Rye Pier was
a lot older than I thought.

The lime traffic had well and truly finished when I moved to Rye with my
parents in 1946.

There were the remains of two lime kilns that I personally visited in the
'50s. One at Boneo with a small line accessing Port Phillip and it appears
on Ordnance Survey Maps of the 1920s and the remains of the right of way and
some wheels still there in the very early '50s. There is another out off
Browns Road which you can still access but I don't know if it had a rail
line.

I am not sure about the wood issue. That part of the Peninsula had large
coastal Banksia trees and was covered in Coastal T-tree neither of which I
would have thought would be any good for the lime industry.

There is a wreck off Rye pier of one of the small coastal vessels used to
transport the lime to Melbourne and Geelong. As kids we knew about it and
occasionally could see bits of what we thought were part of the wreck. I
have the name of it somewhere.

I can find no photos or further particulars of the Boneo Lime Kiln and line.

There are the remains of a lime kiln on the beach at Portsea.

Cheers,

David

From: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>
<mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au> [mailto:LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au