From: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au on behalf of David R Axup
Sent: Sat 17/04/2010 11:12 AM
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Re: Mornington Peninsular railways

G'day John,

I grew up in Rye in the late 40's and through the 50's.

I cannot help with Dromana Pier or the Sorrento Tramway. Didn't go to
Dromana that often and the Sorrento Tramway was gone by the time we moved to
Rye in '46 after my father came out of the 2nd AIF.

The track on the Rye pier had one hand propelled trolley which was used by
the local fishermen [one of whom was my father] to move boxes of fish and
gear out to the two landings on the pier. There was also a shed on the
seaward end of the pier which the fishermen used to store gear and which was
locked. Obviously the local fishermen had keys. The trolley was also
chained and locked with access by the fishermen and Ports and Harbours
people and used to cart materials out to or from the shed. On at least one
occasion it was used to carry inert passengers back out to the end of the
pier for transfer to RIP after a heavy session in the Rye pub.

The shed was also occasionally used by the Ports and Harbours vessel RIP, an
ex-WW2 Corvette, for the storage of items.

Cheers,

David