Re: Egg ended boiler

John Garaty

Hi Frank,
It looks more like an air receiver or airtank for the mine or some other associated plant. It looks like both ends are domed and there are no fireholes, flues or gauge glass fittings apparent in the photos.

Such a tank or tanks could be used as a "buffer" to enure that there was a sufficient supply of pressurised air for the operation of pneumatic drills etc underground at the end of airline from the surface.

There appears to be 2 similar elevated tanks in the foreground at Corrimal here:
<http://mylibrary.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/PIC/BIBENQ/4821076/10828326,9?FMT=IMG>

I bow to other mining/power enginneers and miners who may have knowledge of the operation of such equipment.
Regards,
John Garaty
Unanderra
Just down the road from Mt Kembla

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "fstamford" <frank.stamford@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I have received the following request via the lrrsa's generic email address.

Can anyone help the enquirer?

Date: 8/2/2010 22:06:51 +1100
From: Georgina Element <crella25@...>
To: <lrrsa@...>
Subject: Egg ended boiler

Hi there,

I'm in Mt Kembla NSW, near Wollongong, where we have an egg ended boiler that came from the Mt Kembla Coal mine originally, but is now in a horse paddock. I was told by Graham Clegg from the Powerhouse Museum a couple of years ago, that you have conducted a lot of reserach into mines in Australia. I was wondering if you could point me in the right dirrection to find out more about this boiler: where it came from, how it was made and used...

It is made of three iron plates to achieve the diameter of the boiler. There are pictures of it on Fickr if you serach Mt Kembla Boiler. See link below:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Mt+Kembla+Boiler

I've been searching on the internet for information on egg-ended boilers, but I have found out very little really.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Georgina Element