Re: Aerial Ropeway - Flying Fox.

Bill

Hi Dick,

Sincere thanks for the prompt and detailed answer.

We were entranced by the Wolgan Valley in the late 70's early 80's, and also visited Glen Davis [and the Katoomba Scenic Rwy].

More recently the Firewood Tramways of Walhalla had us wanting to visit all the sites mentioned ... needed a glossary for some of the "jargon". You have solved one of the mysteries.

Regards,
Bill

Dick Holland <rholland@rspcansw.org.au> wrote:
Greetings.

I too have been a member of LRRSA for many years, however, only several days ago did I become aware of this group.

I believe a flying fox to be a cable suspended between two points only, with a load bearing device being suspended from a pulley that can be drawn to and fro.

An aerial ropeway is a continuous ropeway that is suspended from gantries and goes out on one cable and comes back on the other. Does this make sense?

In N.S.W. the only operating aerial ropeway still operating is at the Kandos Cement Works (or it was 12 months ago), there have been others of course, here in Broken Hill on Block 10 after the ground creep (not a person) caused a processing mill to almost fall over and had to be relocated. A ropeway was seen as the best option to move ore. There was another one of some distance used in the construction of the Warragamba Dam, but it was closed down probably 40 or so years ago. There were a few more in the vicinity of Kandos and used for the conveyance of limestone to a cement works at a place called Charbon, since closed.

I know this subject may be a bit out of order, however, these things were used in industry for a long time before the advent of the conveyer belt and road hauled dumpers. So I'll apologise in advance.

Dick Holland
Broken Hill
Richard Holland

Regional Inspector
Far West - Broken Hill

rholland@rspcansw.org.au
Mobile : 0427 010 184
www.rspcansw.org.au

Yahoo!7 Time Capsule - Make your mark and be a part of history