From: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au] On
Behalf Of Chris Stratton
Sent: Friday, 27 October 2006 3:19 PM
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Aerial Ropeway - Flying Fox.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Holland" <rholland@rspcansw.org.au>
To: <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au>
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 8:46 AM
Subject: [LRRSA] Aerial Ropeway - Flying Fox.

Greetings.

I too have been a member of LRRSA for many years, however, only
several
days ago did I become aware of this group.

I believe a flying fox to be a cable suspended between two points
only,
with a load bearing device being suspended from a pulley that can be
drawn
to and fro.

An aerial ropeway is a continuous ropeway that is suspended from
gantries
and goes out on one cable and comes back on the other. Does this make
sense?

In N.S.W. the only operating aerial ropeway still operating is at the
Kandos Cement Works (or it was 12 months ago), there have been others
of
course, here in Broken Hill on Block 10 after the ground creep (not a
person) caused a processing mill to almost fall over and had to be
relocated. A ropeway was seen as the best option to move ore. There
was
another one of some distance used in the construction of the
Warragamba
Dam, but it was closed down probably 40 or so years ago. There were a
few
more in the vicinity of Kandos and used for the conveyance of
limestone to
a cement works at a place called Charbon, since closed.

I know this subject may be a bit out of order, however, these things
were
used in industry for a long time before the advent of the conveyer
belt
and road hauled dumpers. So I'll apologise in advance.

Dick Holland
Broken Hill
There was also one at Douglas Park in NSW, across the Nepean River
gorge. It
was used for the construction of the Cordeaux Dam. There was a standard
gauge siding on the north side and a 2 foot gauge tramway from the
southern
side to the dam. Earthworks for the tramway can still be seen in places
but
road widening and re-alignment has obliterated a lot of it.
Regards,
CS