Re: Koondrook Tramway

Alf Aiken

Phil

Thank you for your detailed reply. I also obtained the relevant
articles from the ARHS. They make interesting reading. The track
arrangement at Koondrook are certainly interesting. This would have
made for interesting shunting. With all the info that has been
uncovered it would be nice to see an article in Light Railways. I
don't think that I would be able to do this as this was my first
visit to Koondrook & I don't know when I will return. I think that
photos of the remaining infrastucture would complement any such
article.

Alf

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Phil Rickard"
<chy_gwel_an_meneth@y...> wrote:

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Alf Atkin" <pollux1au@h...>
wrote:

Couple more questions:

1. What method of safeworking was used?

2. Was there any intermediate sidings? I know that there were
at
least three wayside stations.

3. Did the tramway have its own sidings at Kerang or did it use
the
VR sidings?

Alf
I have found a copy of both the 1948 and 1971 Bulletin articles,
together with one from Newsrail Aug 1983. In addition to Frank's
detailed response of the 22nd the following may be of interest:

1. The only signal was a VR Home signal protecting Kerang yard.
(The
"one engine in steam" being the norm.)

2. In 1948 or thereabouts, Koondrook Stock Yards had a dead-end,
converted to a loop, at some stage. Gannawarra "seems" to have had
siding but it had gone, Hinkson's had a loop siding, as did
Yeoburn.
On the outskirts of Kerang four private sidings had connections to
the
tramway, all being recent additions. It is not stated which
industries they served.

3. At Kerang, the shire trains used the VR yard and station. They
had
no yard of their own. Koondrook was the tramway headquarters and
any
examination of the line needs to be looked at with Koondrook as the
focus. Traffic came from up and down the river, from over the
River
via Barham and was shipped out on the tramway. Kerang was just the
exchange point with the VR.

Re ex VR No.34; ex G&M "Titania" -
Readers may wish to view
http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/railways/image.aspx?ID=878
for a picture of No.34 at the Kerang Waterworks tower in
Wellington St
Kerang. The brick water tower (which is still standing) is
situated
over one km from the railway, on the west side of town. The
Koondrook
tram went to the east of Kerang.
The Bulletin No.132 of Oct 1948 says the loco was used at the
waterworks, presumably for pumping. Can anyone venture how it was
transported from Kerang station, a mile away, to the water tower,
and
how long was it used there. Was it only used at the waterworks
following the arrival of "Federal" in 1895? Comments invited.

An interesting article on the Koondrook-Barham bridge may be found
on
the John Monash web site at
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~aholgate/jm/nonrcbrs/koondrook_maj.html
The role of the tram to carry the materials is covered as Monash
was
concerned that it might not be up to the task, and correspondence
with
Rattray, the Shire's tramway manager resulted.

The role of the bridge in channeling trade towards Barham and
Koondrook and hence over the tramway is briefly examined.

Koondrook yard. Bulletin 132 has a sketch of the interesting track
layout at Koondrook. Does anyone have a copy of Weston Langford's
sketch that would be in his station diagram book pub by ARHS Vic a
few
years back? I'd like to compare the two. (Does anyone have a VR
station diagram of Koondrook - just hoping . . )

cheers Phil