From: Frank Stamford <frank.stamford@bigpond.com>
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Sent: Monday, 12 January, 2009 21:20:40
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Peckett locomotive "Sir John Grice" - West Melbourne Gasworks

Thanks Richard.

I do not think the current nameplate is cast. It appears to be
aluminium, possibly etched aluminium.

It is certainly different to the plate you describe.

In the photos section of this Yahoo Group I have added three photos in
the Album "Frank's photos":

http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/LRRSA/ photos/album/ 406528701/ pic/list

One shows the loco near Fielder in 2007. The second is a close-up of
the nameplate currently fitted to the loco ( - this picture is
actually an enlargement taken from the first picture). The third shows
the loco working at West Melbourne Gasworks, as published in "Light
Railways" No.90. The nameplate in this is very indistinct.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups. com.au, richard horne <rthorne475@ ...> wrote:

Dear Frank,

I have a photo of 'SIR JOHN GRICE' in use at the gasworks, sent to
me by John Buckland many years ago. While the plate is not all that
clear, it can be clearly seen that it is nothing like the plate
presently on the loco.

The present plate is cast, with raised letters and edge. The name
is in capitals but the letters 'IR' of 'SIR' are about half the height
of the other letters.

The original plate appears to be different in these respects:

* Much thinner and probably made from thick sheet of brass.
* Name written in capitals thus' SIRJOHN GRICE'... the letters S, J
and G being about half an inch taller than the remainder. Bottom of
all letters on same level. The letters are simple, non-serrif, quite
thin lines and not as compressed as on the present plate.
* The letters are darker than the plate, so presumably etched or
cut into the brass and painted black (or similar) (as was the name
'JOHN BENN' in the well-known photo of that loco (Hainault 861/1886).

* There is no raised edge to the plate (obviously, as it was a flat
sheet). Rather there is an etched perimeter line, dark coloured, set
about half an inch in from the edge of the plate.
* The four fixing bolts (dome headed) are at the extreme corners of
the plate.I trust that this is of some help.

Regards,

Richard Horne
Croydon
United Kingdom