From: Phil Rickard
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:36 PM
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Maria Island

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Michael & Valerie Newman"
<michaelnewman3@...> wrote:

> Could any member tell me what motive power was used on the Maria
Island 8.5 inch guage line please and where exactly did it run (to and
from).
> Michael Newman

Michael,

Can you clarify please - do you mean the Maria Island off the east
coast of Tasmania. . .and do you really mean just 8½-inch gauge??

There was a 2ft-gauge line for National Portland Cement in the 1920's
that used Hudswell Clarke 1423 of 1922, an 0-4-0WT. Pic may be seen
here: http://www.australiansteam.com/tas/hc1423.JPG

cheers Phil