From: Bill Hanks [mailto:bhanks@railsignallingservices.com.au]
Sent: 30/06/2008 10:05:04 AM
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Re:Proposed VR Narrow Gauge Lines

About 15 years I wrote an article that appeared in Light Railways called
"The Narrow Gauge Question". In it I mentioned a number of the
proposals investigated by the parliamentary standing committee on
railways. All my information at the time came from the Victorian
Railways Annual Reports, but there was also one report on the question
of whether to build narrow gauge or not.

The first line built was surveyed and planned as 2ft gauge, but changed
to 2ft 6in at the 11th hour. The plan and section books all have the
"6in" added in pencil to the plan headings.

It is worthwhile pondering the fact that we may well have had Krauss
locos on the VR NG if it was 2ft. Whilst the track gauge was widened by
6", the opportunity was not taken to widen the rolling stock, which is
still more appropriate for 2ft gauge.

For the lines from Ballarat to Ararat and Ballarat to Maryborough, 3ft
6in gauge was originally proposed.

Regards,

Bill Hanks.