Re: Perth Zoo Train

Michael J

----- Original Message -----
From: Roderick B Smith [mailto:rodsmith@werple.net.au]
Sent: 13/06/2008 10:10:51 AM
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Perth Zoo Train

Does the heritage information want to link to trains at other zoos?
I have been on the one at Melbourne, but can't recall having a photo.
I do have a photo of the one at Adelaide.
Whipsnade (UK) has a well-known railway.
My professional life is closely involved with the zoo industry, and zoo trains were once as common as elephant rides and chimpanzee tea parties, and tended to start to disappear about the same time. Zoos came to see themselves less as amusement parks and more as serious educational and scientific institutions. If I remember correctly Currumbin Wildlife Park on the Gold Coast still has a train, which serves to move visitors between the two halves of the park.

Whipsnade's railway is of course a full size 2'6" gauge railway using former military and industrial locomotives, and not the miniature type used in Australian zoos.

Michael