Re: Sources of information on Brazilian steam locomotives

Eljas Polho <Eljas@...>

Frank,
I didn't make a misprint, the order was (unless there is some new
evidence):
Baldwin 37698 became later VFFLB # 5 and 37693 became VFFLB # 7.

Earlier names of VFFLB are CF Bahia, then CF Federaux l'Est Bresilian
& Companhia Ferroviaria Este Brasileiro. CF Bahia was formed in 1909
by amalgamation of four old railways. In 1912 it was leased to a
French company, which took the names abobe and when returned to the
state it took the name VGGLB in June 1934. At that time VFFLB had
about 1866kms of line and 138 steam locomotives. 1940 there were 1897
kms of line and in 1950 2555km according to Brasilian Railway
Statistics in Anuário Estatístico do Brazil.

They had 7 Baldwin 2-4-0 locomotives:
1-2 (I have no further details)
3-4 Baldwin 41161-41162 of 1914 (orig. CFFLB 3-4)
5 Baldwin 37698 of 1912 (Alencon Lima & Co)
6 Baldwin 57986 of 1924 (orig. CFFLB 22)
7 Baldwin 37693 of 1912 (Alencon Lima & Co)

I do not have any details about their usage and disposal.

Here is a map:
http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~efbrazil/vfflb_mapa.html

Here are some diesels:
http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~efbrazil/vfflb.html

I suggest you ask if the webmaster, Mr Gorni, has other pictures
etc., see his email from below and he speaks English and Portuguese.
http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~efbrazil/index.html

Regards
Eljas Pölhö

On 11 Jan 2008, at 23:52, Frank Stamford wrote:

Anyone know of sources of information on steam locomotives in Brazil -
websites, books or whatever, either in English or Portuguese?

My specific interest is in a metre-gauge Baldwin 2-4-0 tender loco,
builder's number 37693, supplied to Alencon Lima & Co. (apparently in
April 1912). Alencon Lima & Co. were Brazilian agents. The locomotive
became No.5 of VFFLB (Viação Ferrea Federal l'Este Brasileiro).

VFFLB appears to be (or to have been) a reasonably large operator of
public railways in eastern Brazil. I would like to try and find out
where this loco worked, if there are any photos of it in service, and
what became of it.

I have been searching on the internet, but so far I have not been able
to find a source of information on VFFLB steam locomotives, but I
expect information must be available somewhere.

(Also if there is anyone on this list who can translate a few
sentences of English into Portuguese, that could be very helpful, as I
think I might have to approach a number of sources in Brazil about
this loco.)

This is not off topic! It appears that Baldwin 37693 is identical to
Baldwin 37718 ("Little Yarra" of the Powelltown tramway) and that
these two locos were the only two built to that design.