From: John Dennis
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Sent: 10 October, 2007 17:41
Subject: [LRRSA] Mystery Locomotive

Folks,

This was posted to the ausnarrowgauge group earlier today. The general
feeling is that Geoff is referring to the John Fowler patent drive
loco which is now at Mourilyan, but that does not fit with his memory
of the loco being "an Australian built Fowler". Does anybody else has
any candidates for the mystery loco?

John

>Many years ago, in the early 60s, some friends and I had visited the
>building in South Melbourne where John Day used to build his rail
>tractors. The building was abandoned, however there were some lovely
>builder's photographs on the walls of many of his tractors, so
>naturally we 'preserved' them for prosperity. Can't find them now
>though!!
>
>On the same day, we also visited a warehouse in Queensbridge St,
>where there was a steam locomotive tucked away in the corner of the
>building, that appeared to have been there for some time. If I
>remember correctly, it was an Australian built Fowler.
>
>Today I spoke to a gentleman PB driver who suggested that it was
>bought and moved north to a mill in Queensland.
>
>My question is, does anyone have any more detailed information
>about this locomotive, where it came from?, who built it and where
>is it now?

>Geoff
John Dennis jdennis@optusnet.com.au
Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"

Yahoo!7 Groups Links