Re: LR196: My Dad's Bridge - John Shoebridge.

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

Hi Ian,
Sorry for the delay in responding. Have got
well behind in email thanks to the demands of that
thing they call work.
Thanks for this response.
While I obviously have got it well after the trip, I
go up there looking around these lines many times a
year.
I did take a bit of a look for it, but as I was
looking on the north side I really had no hope.
Funnily enough I did see the Elrington fire trail and
wondered.
Also interesting is that I have driven from Abermain
into Hebburn #2 in the past but didn't go any further,
actually didnt know we could. Obviously it would have
been well worth me doing.

Does much exist of #3 beyond the gates?

Brad

--- Ian McNeil <imcneil@hunterlink.net.au> wrote:

Brad,

Hope these directions reach you in time for your
weekend visit.

Travelling West along Lakes Road toward Cessnock,
stop at the intersection of Elrington Road (on LHS)
and Lakes Road. Elrington Road is the minor local
road that leads to a locked gate guarding the old
Hebburn No. 3 (Elrington) colliery.

Do a U-turn and drive back along Lakes Road about
200 metres.

On the LHS, Elrington Fire Trail branches of Lakes
Road at right angles. This is the old formation of
the Hebburn No. 3 Colliery Railway.

If you walk across to the RHS or southern side of
Lakes Road, you will find the mostly buried concrete
arch of "Dad's Bridge" about 10 metres into the
scrub.

If you have time, Elrington Fire Trail, although
marked "Authorised Vehicles Only" is a trafficable
trail, about 2.5km long, right on top of the old
Hebburn Colliery Railway. It passes over the coal
chitter embankment mentioned in John Shoebridge's
article, plus a couple of very photogenic rock
cuttings. You come out on Hebburn Road near the site
of the old Hebburn No. 2 Colliery (private
property). Continuing north along Hebburn Road will
take you through to Abermain, with the formation of
the old Hebburn No. 2 Colliery Railway clearly
visible for much of the way on the LHS.

Concerning Elrington Fire Trail, apart from a couple
of (usually) water filled potholes in the middle of
one of the big rock cuttings, the ordinary family
sedan should have no trouble negotiating it at all.
As far as the "Authorised Vehicles Only" goes, well,
if one were to authorise onself .... The only risk
as I see it is meeting an on-coming vehicle in one
of the narrow, sharp-curved rock cuttings. One of
you will have a longish back-up.

Enjoy

Ian McNeil

removed]

Organic foods - just how healthy is health food?
Be a better foodie
Find out at Yahoo! Answers - http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/