From: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au] On
Behalf Of Frank Stamford
Sent: Tuesday, 2 October 2007 6:49 AM
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Melbourne Shay

Good morning Eddie,

The remains of this loco consist of the boiler, (apparently in good
condition), the three-cylinder engine unit (in good condition), the
water tank (which would no longer hold water apparently), and various
fittings. Exactly what fittings I do not know. There are no trucks
(bogies), and I don't think there are any frames.

It is Builder's No.2576, the one that was damaged in a fire at Hoskins
steelworks. After closue of the Powelltown tramway, the loco (minus
trucks) was taken to a sawmill at Omeo, where it was used to power a
sawmill. It was taken out of service in the early 1960s and the parts
rescued by a Melbourne railway enthusiast.

I do not know the current location of the parts, and have not seen
them for about 38 years, but I know they still exist.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au> ,
Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...> wrote:

The Shay survivors page
http://www.shaylocomotives.com/surviving/SLc-Survivors.htm
<http://www.shaylocomotives.com/surviving/SLc-Survivors.htm>
shows
2576 M. McEwen, {railfan}, Melbourne , Victoria, Australia
Cameron & Sutherland (D), Melbourne, Australia
In Parts, less trucks

This is a Burraga/Powelltown loco.

What is its actual status now?